Cancale Brittany was founded by the monk St. Meen to 545. In the 12th century we speak of the city as the Cancaven Cove River. Cancale obtained the title of "city" in 1545 as a supplier of flat oysters of the royal table. The aldermen of Paris had a contract with the city to have a fresh arrival and scheduled 2 times a week to serve the king's table
On the cliff, this is the port of Houle, and in typical "back streets" where cancalaises manufactured or repairing fishing nets, the village of yesteryear are still felt.
The tide regularly destroyed the houses of fishermen modest architecture and it was not until 1838 that the inhabitants, poorly protected by a dam fortune granted by the States General of Britain in 1773, building a cob on 50 meters unsinkable "the wedge Epi "monument.